Monday, April 20, 2015

PINHERINHO!!!!



So I'm going to be brief today because we have a lot to do back at the house to prepare for war. Yes, we’re fighting here in Pinherinho now. My companion and I have taken it upon ourselves to personally go and find those 300+ lost sheep in our area, and then try to save Korihor. (don't remember the story? Alma 30).

So Elder Barros, he's from Ceara and he's a lot of fun. We're almost always joking with each other, and the only thing that I can do is help him put into practice what he learned in training. I'm senior companion now, but I still have a ton to learn, so I'm working with the district leader to keep getting better at my teaching techniques and reaching higher goals. Fortunately we have special permission to find these less-actives, so our number of lessons is getting bigger even though we're having trouble finding "new" people.

I'm going to be blunt, this ward needs help. I arrived feeling something was off, then I started asking questions and found a large hole in the leadership, members, and ward mission plan. This ward is work! At least for now, I have a mind to leave this ward so big they're going to need to split. But first, I have to get the leadership onboard. Say a few prayers for me and my companion as were both under 6 months in the mission trying to do all this on our own (so to speak). 

And I have to tell a story, you’re going to like this one. Work as usual here in Pinherinho—contacts, and addresses. I got on the bus with the District Leader on a split, and made a public announcement: "Afternoon, My name is Elder A. Smith, and I'm a missionary from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. We have a message that we share, independent the religion, and we'd like to share it with you. We have these little cards with a number and a present, it's a free number and the present is also free, all you have to do is call and we'll be more than happy to drop it off for you. If any are interested please raise your hand and we'll hand these out to you." My District leader now thinks I'm crazy, but you guys already knew that. The best part happened after the "Public-contact", the district leader asked if that had worked in the past. I then got to tell him of a different event with Elder Matos when it had.

Hope you're all well and happy. Remember [Christians]: never have shame for the name you carry! Be it on a bus in hot Brasileiro sun, or in an air-conditioned office, you bear the name of a perfect life [Jesus Christ] and need to share the blessings with YOUR brothers and sisters!

Até Próximo [Up Next]! 

Elder Joel A. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment