Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Brasilian, Or Not Quite

From October 5, 2015

Hello friends, family, and ... other relations.

I'm happy that once again General Conference has passed and I had a great chance to learn and grow. Sadly, I had to finally accept that three of the beloved apostles of our time have been transferred. And to my wonder and strengthening of my testimony, three new apostles were called.

Alright, stories of what Brasil did to me this week: I had a division with my district leader in a bairro that's called Xarquinho and while there he wanted to play with a feroz cãozinho [fierce dog] (a Chihuahua). For his efforts, his foot became a temporary chew toy. When visiting Brasil, don't play with dogs behind gates. This is the second time my companion has been chewed on.

The other comes from what becomes of Ninjas in Brasil. We were a little late leaving our last lesson to be on our way home this Wednesday. I had to encourage my companion to at least walk quickly as we exited. But, and to my utter surprise, he passed me running. I started running behind to keep up with him. When suddenly: DOG! Fortunately I brought my umbrella, as we ran past the beast he took off behind my companion. With the spring loaded part of my umbrella, I opened it and the dog ran into the previously closed shield. I then spent the next 30 seconds having a sword fight with the nose of the darned thing. The dog finally quit and we took off running again. Thank you Tamara for all those Saturdays [fencing]!

Until next week, and the story of the three-day transfer.

Elder Joel A. Smith

 ***

From September 28, 2015:

Brasil and What I Found

 

Hello! Olá, oi, bom dia, opa, e daí, [Hello, Hi, Good morning, ??}  Or however you want to say it!

We're a week off of conference here in Brasil, and I'm thrilled! I feel that this will be a historic Conference as the members of the Quorum of the 12 will be changing! I feel really depressed that no one told me until like three days after the Apostles passed away.  THANKS A LOT GUYS!!! But Patience is a virtue, so is forgiveness.

Now, as I have been thrilled at receiving your letters. (you know who you are) I'm happy to announce that I'll be trying to send some of the pictures that don't make it into the blog into the letters! Some things are better in paper. 

So in reference to what I found, I'm working my way through trying to understand my circumstances a little better. I'm not going to tell you they're easy, that would be lying! But I'm working on understanding what I need to pull from them. And one thing that is making it fun is the stereotypes that I found out about the USA. (Prepare yourselves.) So according to the Brasilian explanation of the American: We're rich, eat fast food all the time, fat, everywhere snows and all Americans play football and don't care about soccer. That said, you say Utah, and unless they’re members, you have to say "Las Vegas" for them to even have a clue where that is.

Guarapuava is a Provo sized city, but I'm working on an outskirt part that really has a lot of fun little dangers. For example, we have to walk on what is like a highway for us to get to a part of our area that is quite important. The adventure is crossing the streets when we need to. Brasil! Why do you teach your drivers to hit and run? Other than that, I got to participate in a branch activity, which involved apples, eggs, spoons, water, and a whole lot of fruit salad. It was a blast! 

That's all I have time for now, But enjoy the pictures of  the Brasilian YMCA, Rock in the Water

Until next week!
Elder Joel A. Smith

 



With Companion in Park in Guarapuava

Park in Guarapuava

"YMCA"

No comments:

Post a Comment